Getting to Grips with the Autumn Statement 2023
Your simplified guide to the financial insights and implications of the Autumn Statement 2023
In January 2023, the UK government, under Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s guidance, set three economic objectives . . .
REDUCE INFLATION BY HALF
Foster economic growth
And decrease debt
Remarkably, the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation has dramatically decreased from over 11% to just 4.6% by October 2023. This demonstrates that the UK’s economy has bounced back faster than expected from the pandemic’s impact. This achievement is a testament to strategic economic decisions, including prudent borrowing. In doing so, it supports the Bank of England’s efforts to control inflation. The Autumn Statement 2023, unveiled by Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, marks a significant shift in the UK’s economic landscape. It introduces measures to bolster businesses, ease financial burdens, and sustain economic growth.
Our helpful guide delves into these changes and their practical implications for our clients.
Detailed Insights into the Autumn Statement 2023
Empowering Businesses & Sole Traders
- The Autumn Statement extends business rate relief with a 75% discount for the hospitality, retail, and leisure sectors. This move is a lifeline for these industries, offering financial breathing space and opportunity for growth.
- One such transformative change is the permanent adoption of full expensing for capital items. This allows businesses to save up to 25p per £1 spent. It encourages significant investment in IT, machinery and equipment, fostering efficiency and innovation.
- The reform of the R&D relief regime aims to promote research and development within UK businesses. It's a critical step for maintaining global competitiveness and fostering technological advancement.
A Shift in the Landscape of National Insurance Contributions
- Class 2 National Insurance will be abolished starting 6th April 2024 in a significant change. This is purported to help ease the financial burden on self-employed individuals.
- Class 4 National Insurance sees a reduction to 8% from April 2024. This relief measure will benefit self-employed professionals by reducing their tax liabilities.
- Reducing Class 1 National Insurance to 10% from 6th January 2024 puts more money in employees' pockets. It's a means of boosting disposable income and consumer spending.
Benefits for Individuals, Employees, and Pensioners
- The increase in the living wage to £11.44 from 6th January 2024 is a significant step towards improving living standards. Expanding its applicability to younger workers addresses income disparities among the youth.
- The provision of 30 hours of free childcare weekly is a game-changer for working parents. Its implementation will alleviate the financial strain and help support family well-being.
- From April 2024, the government will increase the full new state pension by 8.5% to £221.20 a week, worth up to £900 more yearly.
Broader Economic Implications & Opportunities
The Autumn Statement 2023 is not just about fiscal adjustments; it’s a blueprint for a resilient and thriving economy. The government’s plan purportedly saves money and encourages growth and investment. For businesses, this means an environment conducive to expansion and innovation. For individuals, it translates to more disposable income and improved living conditions.
Birkett & Co. is Committed to Helping You Navigate the New Economic Terrain
At Birkett & Co., we are poised to assist our clients in leveraging these new opportunities. Understanding these changes and their meaning can be challenging, but with our help, businesses and people can make smart choices. We can help you capitalise on the evolving economic scenario. Our team is committed to giving you strategic advice. We can help you adjust to new tax rules and explore new growth opportunities from the Autumn Statement. We aim to ensure that our clients are not just adapting but thriving in this new economic era. The Autumn Statement 2023 represents a significant turning point in the UK’s economic policy. It brings a range of measures impacting businesses, individuals, and the economy at large.
We invite you to contact us for a detailed understanding of how these changes affect you and the bespoke solutions Birkett & Co. offers.
Further reading on the Autumn Statement 2023
- HM Treasury, “Policy Paper, Autumn Statement 2023“
How can we help?
I need help with my tax
It's no secret that individuals and businesses want to pay the least amount of tax possible. This is what fuels all our taxation services and is why we've built a reputation for minimising our client's tax liabilities. It's our savvy and skilled advice that keeps both our clients and the authorities happy.
I’m running a business
Running a business requires excessive plate spinning – far more than most people bargain for. As a business leader, we know you’d rather be getting on with the stuff you love doing: thinking creatively, nurturing your ideas and loving every minute of it – which is where we come in.
I want to start a business
Helping business ideas take off is incredibly rewarding, not least because of the creativity of our clients’ start-ups. We’re proud to support a rich variety of innovative and entrepreneurial ventures. We work one-on-one with clients to ensure their businesses don’t just survive but thrive.
I want to grow my business
There’s no doubt that scaling your business is tough. It requires tactical decision-making and a watertight strategy with one goal in mind: growth, and lots of it. Our proactive approach has seen many of our clients’ businesses thrive beyond expectations.
Get in touch for assistance with the Autumn Statement 2023
Here at Birkett & Co. Ltd, your success is our business.
Want to make your money work harder, faster and smarter? So do we. Here on the South Coast, our savvy, forward-thinking team of advisors are on-hand to support you with any financial questions. Whether you’re an individual or a business, you can expect candid communication and industry-leading advice.
We’ll ensure your finances are not only on your side, but you have the power to make your money work harder and go further than you thought possible.
Facilitating your business’ growth one-on-one is what drives our team of experienced professionals. We’re incredibly proud to be so much more than an accountancy firm. Since our formation in 1979, our unique, proactive approach has helped thousands of businesses prosper. Our team welcomes emails or calls from new and existing clients and endeavours to respond within two working hours.
Contact Birkett & Co Ltd to help you with the Autumn Statement 2023.
We Guarantee . . .
- A holistic approach that's best for the business and you
- Strong foundations that are fit for you now and in future
- To communicate with clients in words they understand
- Industry-leading knowledge with industry-leading software